Monday, March 9, 2009

New Seaglass!

It always feels like such a victory to discover new sea glass while on a walk. This Saturday I took Lucy for a walk with my boyfriend. We ended the walk at a secluded beach - I wasn't really looking for sea glass but as soon as my eyes hit the sand I found a big white beautiful soft piece! I was hooked so I wandered around and sure enough, I found 2 more large white pieces and 3 small green pieces.

People often ask where to find sea glass, when to look, what time of year to look, etc. Well, I don't really have an answer for that. The logical answer would be to look at low tide after a storm on a beach that would have ships off the coast. But the truth is, I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to sea glass hunting. If you go out looking, you may come back with stuffed pockets but you may come back with nothing...

.... Unless you take a trip to Glass Beach on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. I visited this beach last January... saw it on a map and hoped it was actually a beach made of glass. Behind an industrial park, nestled between two volcanic rock ledges, was glass beach. The sand was made of sea glass! My heaven! I snapped this shot of the ground:
As you can see, the ground is covered! I regret only taking a small bag now that I'm back and realizing that sea glass doesn't just appear like this! I found every size, shape and color... the blues and reds were hidden but could be found- browns and whites were most common and beautifully shaped and softened.

If you ever find yourself in Kauai wondering what "Glass Beach" is .... it's worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment